THE SUBSTITUTE DRUMMER

I was hanging out with a friend of mine who happens to be a drummer like myself and we talked about the music industry. We talked about the good, the bad and the ugly side of being a drummer, being in a band and going on tours with different musicians. And in the midst of our conversation I asked if he still fancy the idea of being a full time drummer for a band or a church and he said NO.


I really wasn't surprised coz I know the kind of guy he is and how often he gets into small fights with the artiste, his band mates and anyone who doesn't fit his own description of a good musician/instrumentalist.


I am in a band and he isn't but he gets more Gigs and goes on tours with different musicians than anyone I have ever seen. Curious I asked how he does it and what kind of drummer he is.


And with a big smile on his face he says: you can call me the SUBSTITUTE DRUMMER.


Now some of us watch football or soccer as the Americans call it and we all know the substitute is the other guy that comes in for the main guy. The same applies here for my friend. He gets the Gig when the main drummer of a band or a church is injured, on another Gig ( there are drummers with lots of Gigs to spare), sick, or doesn't feel like playing (especially the small Gigs with no cash). Etc. Etc.


Being a SUBSTITUTE drummer kinda sounds cool but ain't as easy as it seems. I know most drummers get the Gig as the main drummer through word of mouth or the use of social media but I'm not sure anyone would want to get a Gig as a substitute drummer (I might be wrong though). Lol.


Some might say being a SUBSTITUTE drummer ain't different from being the main drummer, as long as they both get the Gig it's fine. The only difference is one stays and the other moves on.


To be honest I really don't care if I am the main or SUBSTITUTE drummer as long as I get the Gig I am happy. Lol. I don't know about y'all.


Does the SUBSTITUTE drummer exist? Or is it just a word created by my friend? Are there drummers (like my friend) who would prefer to get a Gig as a SUBSTITUTE drummer?


I would really love to know.



#Substitute-Drummer
#Main-Drummer
#Peace





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY TOP 10 CRAZY DRUM STICK IDEAS

Drum Clinic

The Power of Repetition: Maximizing Your Drum Practice