MY LIFE AS A DRUMMER (I)

No Gigs. So i felt the need to share with you guys my ''exciting'' life  as a drummer.


1. I am starting to enjoy practicing with no drums in sight.  Just playing the air and pretending it's a real drum kit. It kinda helps tho. Practicing this way, especially if you've not played in a while, can make you feel like you are playing the real thing and when you finally get to play the real thing, you don't feel like a stranger on the drum kit.


2. I am a good drummer with no real offline connection with other musical instrumentalist. No strong online presence as a drummer. No Gigs or an idea on how to get one for myself. I am just working (a job i really don't like), practicing, creating new content and hoping i get a miraculous call from a stranger, an old band mate or someone somewhere who might have come across some videos of mine (not really a typical drum video), likes what he/she sees and hook me up with a real Gig. I guess things like this don't really happen anymore. The downside of being an introvert in a extroverted industry.


3. Since i don't have the resources  to execute this idea, can someone create an hook up app or site for drummers and other musical instrumentalist. i mean, there are lot of drummers in need of music band and bands in need  of drummers. An app for easy connections with the people in  need your services (nearby and faraway) won't really be a bad idea. instead of relying on word of mouth and praying/hoping for a miracle Gig.


4. I am drummer. i say this with no shame. Being a drummer ain't among the popular career choices in Nigeria. Most girls think  drummers are broke. I see drummers lie about what they do just to get laid. Lol not me. I stay calm not giving a damn what she thinks. I flirt and i make her laugh. If she ain't feeling the vibe, i waste no further seconds on her. If she is, then i think about taking it to the next level. I'm not gonna lie. Girls do find good looking drummers like myself attractive. LOL.


5. Growing up i always thought i was gonna play with the same guys i played with as a teenager forever. Go on shows together. Make an album. Make good money from shows.......... That thought never became a reality. Those guys are all doing their thing. You can't blame me tho. I was just a kid with no idea on how the music industry works.


6. A struggling drummer with few Gigs knows lots of drummers with no Gig and is also not willing to share the few he has (maybe some not all). But a made drummer with lots of Gigs knows just few and  is also willing to share. Now the question is, how do i get close to the ''made'' drummers? how do i get to connect with these guys? how do i get into their circle?. Lots of questions on my mind. Damn I really need to go out  more. I can't keep blaming my lack of Gigs on my personality as an introvert. That shit is getting stale, even for me. Lol.


7. Singers. Saxophonist. These are the only guys i need as friends right now. A friendly drummer always get to tag along when this guys are loaded with high paying Gigs.


8. Enjoy what you've got. Enjoy the moment. Be grateful for the big and little things. Be grateful for being able to go for Gigs with just your drumstick bag. Because when you are big and you start going on tour with you favorite music artiste, you are gonna carry BIG sh*t.  I mean big hard wares and soft wares. Very BIG Things. Are you ready for that?...... I am. Don't let what i wrote scare you. No one wants to remain small forever. We all want big things.


9. This is to all the instrumentalist who are not drummers. Keyboardist, bassist, saxophonist etc. etc. When a drummer you haven't had the time to rehearse  with gets to join you and the band for a one time Gig due to issues like injury, sickness or anything that keeps the main drummer from showing up, please can you just keep things as simple as possible when you play.  You don't expect me to do the things you rehearsed with the other drummer. Do you?.... i wanna flow with you but i can't do that if you keep playing and forgetting there is a newbie in the band. Don't make me look like an amateur. Be warned.


10. I play drums. I Netflix. I travel the world. I eat good food. I make good money...... This is just me being optimistic.

 Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY TOP 10 CRAZY DRUM STICK IDEAS

The Power of Repetition: Maximizing Your Drum Practice

Drum Clinic