Drummers And The 80/20 Principle

I am sure we all are familiar with the 80/20 Principle and the idea behind this Principle i.e achieving more by doing less. But for those who are not familiar with the 80/20 Principle, here is a brief history.


The 80/20 Principle was discovered in 1897, by Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto (1848-1923) and according to Richard Koch Author of the 80/20 Principle (The secret to achieving more with less) he states that: The 80/20 assert that a minority of causes, inputs or effort usually lead to a majority of the results, outputs or rewards. Taken literally, this means that, for example,


80 percent of what you achieve in your job comes from 20 percent of the
time spent. This also means that 80 percent of outputs result 20 percent of inputs; that 80 percent of consequences 20 percent of causes; or that 80 percent of results come from 20 percent of effort.


There you have it. Now looking at the definition above and the myth behind this principle can we as musicians/musical instrumentalist say that this principle work? Can we be certain that if we apply this principle that there will be tremendous change in the way we practice, the way we play and the kind of Gigs we get. Personally I don't know and that's why I've got lots of questions flowing in my head.


Before I go one, I just want to let you know i'll be asking lots of questions. Questions I have no answer to. I am just as curious about 80/20 principle as some of you might be. So let's do this together


This principle is being practised by people in all works of life but can we also say the same for the musical instrumentalist. Being a genius on the instrument takes time, hard work and patience but since we are talking about the 80/20 principle, do you think it's possible to practise less and play efficiently well on the drum kit?, do you think it's also possible that we get 80% of Gigs from the 20% of people we know? Or do you also believe that 20% of musical instrumentalist enjoy 80% of the Gigs circulating around? I can go and on but i am sure you get my point.


I am not a lazy drummer but truthfully I really do want to achieve more by doing less, play better by practising less (Lol. Sounds Funny), get 80% of Gigs from the 20% I know, I want to be among the 20% drummers that enjoy the 80% of Gigs flowing everywhere.


But.


The Principle ain't the problem neither is the  80%. The problem is the 20%. To get the 80% our 20% needs to prolific. To play efficiently well on the drums (80% of the time) our 20% practice sessions needs to be productive. To get 80% of the Gigs our 20% connect needs to be strong and reliable. To be among 20% of instrumentalist that enjoy 80% of the Gigs (financially) we need to put in the right 20% of hard work (20% is kinda less work. Lol).


This is just my take on the 80/20 principle and like I said this is just me being curious about this cool principle and how I can apply them as a drummer/musician. I haven't really said much coz I really don't know about this principle but if you do I'd love to know what you think about the 80/20 principle.


Do you score this principle the way you score the songs you play? I'd really love to know.



#Peace 
#The-80/20-Principle



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY TOP 10 CRAZY DRUM STICK IDEAS

Drum Clinic

The Power of Repetition: Maximizing Your Drum Practice