The Instrumentalist I Don't Want To Work With These Year

This is a New Year and I think it's not to late to write down my New Year resolution as a Drummer. My resolution circles around the musical instrumentalist I don't want to play with this year 2020. I learnt a lot last year and I hope not to face this instrumentalist again. Lol.


So here are the list of instrumentalist I don't want to work with this year.

1) The Talking Drummer A.K.A Gangan players: The talking drum a.k.a gangan is one of the most popular traditional instrument in the country and is mostly played by the yorubas. Now there is nothing wrong with working with these guys especially if you want to add ginger to the songs. The only problem comes when you are not Yoruba and don't understand most of the melodic rhythms they use. I always find myself playing in churches with these guys and LORD!!! It is always stressful. It's fun when they play the easy ones but when they go deep, I am nowhere to be found. This alone can kill your rep/vibe as a drummer and no matter how skillful one is or how many rudiments one can apply on the drum kit, not being able to collaborate well with these guys can make one look like an amateur. To avoid stress this year, I am going to avoid these guys Lol. But if they are willing to play only the popular/easy ones (which I doubt they will), then and only then can I decide to work with them.

That moment the singer drops a song that needs the free styling of the talking drummer.

Me:




2) The Keyboardist: A "Good" keyboardist is like oxygen to a drummers double hydrogen, the chemistry between them flows like water. But what happens when the keyboardist isn’t that good? Have you ever played with a keyboardist that claims to be a professional but takes a whole ten(10) minutes to look for the singer's key? I have and trust me these guys can kill a man's vibe Lol. I am definitely going to avoid these guys at all cost.

That moment the singer is already on the second song and the keyboardist is still looking for the right key.

Me:




3) The Bass Player: I love this Instrument and it's one of the instrument I'd love to learn. The problem is not the instrument but the bass player that keeps telling you to look/connect with him. I see this all the time and I keep wondering why the bass player. We are all (keyboardist, saxophonist, lead guitarist etc...) playing/connecting together and even when we are all doing a special intro, we do it together. Is there something special drummers and bass players do that I don't know of? So why do I need to look at the bass player. Smh. I am seriously going to avoid bass players like these Lol. 

That moment the bass player keeps telling you to look/connect with him.

Me:




4) The Saxophonist: I have no problem with the amazing professional saxophonist. But you see these beginners /amateurs/sometimes professional saxophonist that think they can go off key anytime they want coz they know the audience won't notice. I have no words for you. If I don't avoid you please try as much as possible to avoid me this year Lol. I can't come and stress myself because of you.

Saxophonist that think they can go off key anytime they want.

Me:




5) The Lead Guitarist: No problem with these guys coz they really are not first team players in most band but comes in once in a while depending on the music artiste. I can only avoid these guys if they keep over playing and over free styling every single time, even when they don't need to.

That moment the lead guitarist over plays and over free style. 

Me:




So there you have it. The list of players I don't want to work with this year.


#Instrumentalist 
#Just-Kidding-Lol
#I-Work-With-Everyone
#Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY TOP 10 CRAZY DRUM STICK IDEAS

The Power of Repetition: Maximizing Your Drum Practice

Drum Clinic