Life Messing Up My Gigs

 

Life is so unpredictable. One day you are so hyped about a Gig and all of a sudden, the Gig is no more. Life has its own way of doing things. You know that popular quotes that says “Man plans but God laughs” yeah that one. That’s how life works.

So, I will be sharing with you some of the amazing experience I have had with this “Life”. I won’t say life messed things up for me but I can say it really broke my heart.  Maybe this amazing thing called LIFE was looking out for me or it felt that the Gig I was so excited about wasn’t the right Gig for me. I don’t know.

Now when there is a potential Gig to be played in a few days. I don’t get too excited, I don’t begin to imagine things, I don’t really hope for anything. I just go on doing the things I have been doing. Coz I know anything can happen in a day, an hour or seconds. Anything can happen. And when something happens, Good or Bad. All I can say is: IT IS WHAT IT IS.

Like I said earlier I would be sharing with you some of the experience I have had with Life and how they have shaped how I see things in general.


So here we go.

 

1) Cutting down budgets: Hello! is this the drummer on the line. I just called to inform you that we won’t be needing the services of your band. I and my hubby, we are trying to cut down on our budget for the wedding. I think a DJ would do. Please before you hang up, do you happen to know any good DJ that could play in our wedding. If you do just let me know. And I am really sorry about this. Thank you. Bye.

This hurts a lot.  Especially if you haven’t had a Gig in weeks. But there is nothing I could do.  Nothing.

 

2) Last Minute: what are you guys doing here? Didn’t you receive my email? The Gig has been cancelled. The club manager had an emergency. We are also kinda working on the stage right now, there was an accident earlier today. The speaker kinda fell on the stage. No one was hurt. So, yeah. Next time guys.

Email! Seriously! What fucking happened to WhatsApp, iMessage, telegram etc.? Lol. And what’s up with all the lame excuses. This is what happens when you get too excited about Gig.

 

3) Favorites: waking up to a text message from the saxophonist: Hey. I know I should have called but there has been a change. My cousin is in town and he is a drummer. I know it’s happening so fast but there’s nothing I could do. My dad insisted on letting him play, so we could get to know each other more. I’m sorry man. Maybe next time.

Fuck my life. Yeah, I know shit happens but why now. Why did his cousin have to show up when I needed the Gig (cash too) the most? Why.

 

4) Car Problem: Monday to Friday, the car worked well. Saturday morning, it worked well. Saturday evening, an hour before we move to the location, car doesn’t come on. What seems to be the problem? No one knows. It’s the bass player car, he should know what is wrong. He doesn’t. Fine. Instead of waiting and complaining, we ordered an uber. We got to the location late. We played. We were paid. But deep down in our heart, we knew we weren’t getting any call back.

Sad story. Shit happens. We move on.

 

5) Life Used Her: On the phone with the keyboardist: Hello! bro I don’t think I can make it today. My girlfriend just had an accident. It’s really bad. She has no one. I need to go take care of her, I’m all she got. I am so sorry. Let the others know. I’m so sorry.

40 minutes later: Hello! Bro. it was a false alarm. She wasn’t in any accident. She was so horny, she decided to get to me to her place by all means possible. Are you guys at the venue? Were you able to find another drummer? Can I still make it? Hello! Hello! Can you hear me? FUUUUUUUUCK.

I know you think its my fault but it wasn’t. I was only trying to helpful and caring. I got played. It is what it is.

 

So, there you have it. This are just some of the experience I have had with “Life”.  Maybe I should do a part two of life messing up my Gigs. Coz this is just a little to the many Life has done to me as a drummer.

I am pretty sure we all had experiences like this. If you have. I would love to know.

#Life

#Drummer

#it-is-what-it-is

#Peace




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY TOP 10 CRAZY DRUM STICK IDEAS

The Power of Repetition: Maximizing Your Drum Practice

Drum Clinic